Is there a way to have software Home, Menu and Back keys?

I am developing apps for an Android device that does not have any
hardware keys except for a power button and I have been running into
hurdles left and right.  Not having a keyboard is not a big problem
but my lack of hardware Home, Menu, and Back keys is killing me.

By sending a "Go to home screen" intent I can simulate the Home key
but I have yet to find a way to have software Back and Menu buttons.
Worse yet, even if I did get my keys working I don't see how to make
them always available to the user.  There doesn't seem to be a way to
keep them accessable from the status bar and I haven't found a way of
creating a floating menu that always stays on top of all other
activities.

I might be able to bring up my menu using the power button but I'm
not
sure it will work.  Does anyone have any insight into this?