Thank you for all the help.  I must admit I had the entirely wrong
idea of how to create Home, Back and Menu key presses.

My original plan was to create an Activity that would send Home, Back
and Menu keypresses to Android.  I originally posted on "Android
Developers" and was refered here.  I have since discovered that having
an Activity create Home, Back and Menu keypresses is just bad design.
These events should come from Android not an Activity.

I have since grabbed the Android source and have begun modifying the
StatusBarView to send these keypresses (Thank you Yi).

The last thing I have not figured out yet is how to run my modified
version of Android on an emulator.  This may not be the correct group
to post this in but could someone point me to some information on
setting up my custom built Android version in an emulator?

Thanks again for all the help.