emulators wont be cycle accurate like real hardware though :P
app development will be lot easier though.

if you are curious about comparing performaces, refer this thread where
performance of a game on emulator-vs-target is discussed
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_frm/thread/324507a335d5f9d7/c7aaddafdd7347a5

http://jars.de/english/android-emulator-performance -> talks about bogo MIPS
against x86 speed..

Regards,