do you meant 'above layer'??
accelerometer driver should publish input event to kernel via input_sync
call (you might have already allocated input device)..
Ref..
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob_plain;f=drivers/hwmon/applesmc.c

I guess in android, if app's have enabled accelerometer flag
(hw.accelerometer), will receive a sensor event, to process..

Regards,
Deva