Hi Mike!

I bet 2 seconds is not near enough.. I have a timeout of 15 seconds to wait for
the PPP to get up properly - in average it takes around 7-8 seconds. Then
probably what goes wrong next is the fact that the needed properties were set
in the last run, so your SETUP_DATA_CALL finishes quickly, but meanwhile you
may have confused the modem with another AT+CGDCONT..

You have to get the first attempt to work and be sure that there are no race
conditions with setting/reading properties. For example - if you set your
custom property to something like "initing" in the beginning of the pppd
service and wait for it to become "up", the next time you run SETUP_DATA_CALL,
it will be "up" until the service is really running and setting it to "initing"
- unless you do some kludgy waiting in SETUP_DATA_CALL before initially
checking state of your property. This had me tweaking for some time.

To get all this running properly, I also had to implement DEACTIVATE_DATA_CALL
in which I send an "AT+CGACT=0,1" and then I wait for pppd service to exit (yet
another property to check for). In our setup, Android always sets up the
connection twice (due to some weirdness with a list of APNs changing in higher
layers), so we need to have a reliable shutdown as well - sigh..

Regarding your timeout on the AT channel there is not much to say else than it
seems the modem is somehow in a state where it won't answer. This is of course
critical for the RIL and it has no choice other than attempting to restart.
Hopefully it is caused by PDP context confusion or some other invalid chain of
commands caused by the data setup stuff.

- Henrik
---
Henrik Uhrenfeldt
Chief Software Engineer