Hi all,

I'm not sure this is the right forum to ask, but here goes. I want to write an APK that can be installed as a standard application, but can also be placed in the /system/app folder. More importantly, I want the program to behave slightly differently in both cases. Ideally, in the later case, I would like it not to display any icon on launcher, but I have the feeling that is asking too much.

Background: I want to use a third party's keyboard on a device I ship. That keyboard typically displays a notification that directs people to enable the keyboard through the Settings page. When the keyboard is installed on the system folder, that is not necessary, as the keyboard is enabled non-optionally. The keyboard is open source, so I can make this change, but I would really prefer to use an upstream version so as not to block the users from upgrading to the standard keyboard through the market. I'm fairly certain the maintainer would be happy to introduce such a change, but I would like to send it to him as a prepared patch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shachar

--