That thread doesn't actually give any good advice for this.  Certainly don't
look at paths and try to infer anything from that.

The API to find out if an application is built into the system image is
ApplicationInfo.FLAG_SYSTEM.  Just use Context.getApplicationInfo() to get
your ApplicationInfo.

Or hey, just try to do whatever you want to do and catch and gracefully
recover if you get a SecurityException thrown back at you.  Or use the
PackageManager to first check to see if you have actually been granted the
permission you are requesting.

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM, gopu <gopuraj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> May be this link helps u...
>

> http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/acba8828f95fbf09/e056c92d2a834890?lnk=gst&q=getApplicationContext%2Bgopu#e056c92d2a834890
>
> On Nov 23, 11:05 pm, Chris Stratton <cs07...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 10:32 am, Shachar Shemesh <shac...@shemesh.biz> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure this is the right forum to ask, but here goes. I want to
> > > write an APK that can be installed as a standard application, but can
> > > also be placed in the /system/app folder. More importantly, I want the
> > > program to behave slightly differently in both cases.
> >
> > If you look in /proc/self/maps you will probably see an entry for the
> > apk with its full path name.
> >
> > > Ideally, in the
> > > later case, I would like it not to display any icon on launcher, but I
> > > have the feeling that is asking too much.
> >
> > I think this is statically coded in the manifest, so you may not be
> > able to change that without making a separate apk.
> >
> > But you could have a separate apk that does nothing more than fire off
> > an intent to start a normally icon-less activity.
> >
> > I don't think most soft keyboards have launcher tray icons anyway.

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com

answer them.