On Nov 23, 10:32 am, Shachar Shemesh <shac...@shemesh.biz> wrote:

> I'm not sure this is the right forum to ask, but here goes. I want to
> write an APK that can be installed as a standard application, but can
> also be placed in the /system/app folder. More importantly, I want the
> program to behave slightly differently in both cases.

If you look in /proc/self/maps you will probably see an entry for the
apk with its full path name.

> Ideally, in the
> later case, I would like it not to display any icon on launcher, but I
> have the feeling that is asking too much.

I think this is statically coded in the manifest, so you may not be
able to change that without making a separate apk.

But you could have a separate apk that does nothing more than fire off
an intent to start a normally icon-less activity.

I don't think most soft keyboards have launcher tray icons anyway.