Tim,

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 10:50:06 -0700, Tim Bird wrote:
On 08/04/2011 06:07 AM, � wrote:
Hi Jordan,

to learn how to port Android to a new device, the easiest way is to buy a reference board like OMAP boards (http://elinux.org/Android_on_OMAP).
With this you will have all support to learn about how to port the
Android for some platforms.

Seconded.  Using an open platform, rather than a cheap tablet, is
a very good idea. My own recommendation would be a panda board, since
they are well-supported by TI and Linaro, but they are perennial
out-of-stock.

I didn't really get an answer to my question though - I HAVE this:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPed

and I want to update IT . . but I never got any responses about how I might go about it . . is it actually possible? I have installed lots of Linuxes onto bare metal desktops and laptops etc so I presumed it was a similar exercise with a tablet? (as long as a compatible system can be booted from a USB stick?).

2011/8/3 jordanleegauci <jordanleega...@gmail.com
<mailto:jordanleega...@gmail.com>>

    Hi All,
I am a computer engineering student and I have bought a cheap Chinese Android tablet for the sole purpose to tinker with the Android OS.
    Specifically, I want to try and custom install Android 2.3
(Gingerbread). So, the problem I am having is that I have not been able to find a "Dummies Guide" to port Android. Where should I start?
    What is the first thing I should do?

http://elinux.org/Android_Porting has some good resources.

Thanks for the extra info anyway.

Regards,