On 08/04/2011 10:59 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> I didn't really get an answer to my question though - I HAVE this:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPed
>
> and I want to update IT . . but I never got any responses about how I
> might go about it . . is it actually possible?  I have installed lots of
> Linuxes onto bare metal desktops and laptops etc so I presumed it was a
> similar exercise with a tablet? (as long as a compatible system can be
> booted from a USB stick?).

I don't know anything about that device.  The likelihood that this will
be bootable from a USB is very low.  ARM devices have no standard BIOS
which is the same from one device to another.

Here are some things, IMHO, to look for:

* a special boot sequence that allows you to enter "fastboot" mode
If the board supports fastboot, then you are in great shape, and
can start modifying the software
* a boot mode that allows you to install upgrades (either from
internal flash or from USB)

For either of these, you will either need to experiment with the
system, or get information from the product vendor or a community
of people working on it.  If you can't find a community of people
working on it, you're on your own.

Failing either of the above easy solutions, you need to find a way
to jailbreak the device.  Since this is a low-budget tablet,
I doubt the vendors have put much effort into preventing jailbreaking,
but you will still have to figure out how to do it.  I would recommend
looking at techniques for jailbreaking devices that have been employed
for other devices.  Usually, finding where you can connect to a serial
port on the hardware is the first step.  Unfortunately, many devices
don't even have serial port hardware any more.

Does the device run adbd?  Can you access the filesystem
as root?  Can you 'su root' if you get a shell on the device?  If
any of these are true, you may be able to get enough access to the
filesystem to rewrite the partitions and install new software.  Obviously
this must be done carefully.

Good luck.
 -- Tim