I already know how to add my vendor id into adb_usb.ini *manually*, but I
want "android update adb" to do it so my users don't have to edit
adb_usb.ini manually.

Does your usb driver result in "android update adb" adding your vendor id?
It doesn't seem like it since your instructions include steps to manually
edit adb_usb.ini.

Matt