Paul Sokolovsky schreef:
| Hello,
|
| On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:26:24 +0100
| Koen Kooi <k.kooi-oe7qfRrRQfcdWmXj+hCI//[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

| Hi,
|
| We've fixed a number of bugs in the stable branch and it would be nice
| if users can benefit from that straight away, without having to use
| the package manager. Up until this point there have been no big kernel
| upgrades (e.g 2.6.x -> 2.6.x+1), only defconfig tweaks.
|
| So:
|
| Update release images with 2007.12-rX, where X >= 4
|
| What do you think about this?
|
|> That's something I was thinking about as means to get out of the
|> situation where both old bootloader and rootfs images for linux-hh
|> devices are cross-incompatible with the new ones (to appear yet). But
|> only when new ones ready. I think that we should prioritize package
|> manager upgrades by all means, and use image upgrades only when package
|> manager upgrades don't work smoothly.

It's not meant as an image upgrade, it's meant to improve the important
'first impression' new users get from angstrom.

|> On the other hand, r0 went with pretty annoying 100% CPU usage bug,
|> which would be nice to exterminate completely. So, overall 0 points
|> from me.
|
| If you think this is a good idea, do we
| want to shoot for -r4 (after testing), or do mentors want to get some
| more bugfixes in and aim for -r5?
|
|> I'd like to bump to r5 right now, marking that linux-hh kernels now
|> support kexec command line.

Sure, please go ahead with that.

| So, it would be Angstrom 2007.12-r5 and
|> kernel 2.6.21-hh20-r13. Ones the new bootloaders are out, all before
|> that would need to be nuked. (And all that because of thinko in the
|> arm-linux kernel and/or kexec command line support patch, which
|> bothers to put atags not where old kernels expect them).

What do you meant exactly with 'bootloader', is that a bootldr replace,
LAB, kernel+initramfs as first stage, kernel+initramfs as second stage,
something else?

regards,

Koen

PS: altboot is broken because it doesn't handle timed-out reads, so
zaurus people can stop claiming there's a magical kernel version that
solved it; there isn't

- --
[EMAIL PROTECTED] will go go away in december 2007, please
use [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead.