Hi experts.

I am new to this list, so please pardon me, if I violate any rules or this is off-topic here.

We are starting to design a controller based on an AM1808 (or maybe an upcoming AM 335x) chip.

Right now, we just have a Development kit (by Logic PD) that features an OMAP 138 Chip (that is pin-compatible with the AM1808 but additionally has a DSP)

We started playing with this kit and now, I have several questions that you might be able to answer.

The board came with an "Angstrom" Linux distribution.

(Question 1) Can you give us a hint, whether it's a good idea to use Angstrom for an embedded controller or do you suggest to use another distributions (binary and/or cross compilable-source-code) ?

I tried to update the Distribution via the "opkg" package manager. Lots of files were downloaded, but when opkg tried to install them I get an error message like "too small memory". The board has 32 MB RAM and the file system is close to empty. (At home I have another ARM hardware (a SLUG) with (IIRC) only 32 MB RAM and here updating via "apt" works just fine.) The board we are going to design will have 256 MB RAM, so I suppose this problem will not be seen there.

Moreover I tried to install an additional package via opkg: same error.

(Question 2) How to use opkg on this device or upgrading the distribution (including the Kernel)l and installing additional packages (like audio and X)?

I found that "lsmod" shows no loaded modules. But as busybox is configured to feature the module specific commands I suppose the distribution does support modules

(Question 3) Can this system be enhanced with Kernel modules ? Why are no modules loaded after starting ?

We want to use I²S audio output. The kit does feature an I²S to analog converter.

(Question 4) How to configure, use and test the audio output ?

We want to use an LCD display (mainly for development and maintenance). The kit features a socket for the chip's LCD/Video pins. We are going to get an LCD panel to connect to the board or to find a converter that allows connecting some standard monitor.

(Question 5) How to configure, use and test the LCD and/or Video output ?

We want to be able to run software that has a  GUI.

(Question 6) How to install a system that allows for running GUI software (X11, QT or GTK or ???, ...)

We want to be able to run the system without a monitor connected.

(Question 7) How to install and use VNC (or whatever) to remote-control the GUI of a running program ?

Thanks in advance for any answers, tips and tricks.

Have fun,
-Michael