Hi,
I am definitely not an expert, but here what I can tell.
Angstrom is use for such SoC as Gumstix Overo, BeagleBoard, etc. without any
significant problems. For example Gumstix Overo Fire (that's what I am using)
has 256MB RAM and 256MB NAND, but they already moves to 512/512 configuration.
For installing additional packages I would suggest you building it yourself and
installing on machine: opkg install <package_name.ipk>
OpenEmbedded (OE) metadata is used for cross-compiling packages and building
kernel, u-boot, x-load, rootfs images. Now they have changes directory
structure, to oe-core, meta-oe, and of course there is Angstrom meta layer.
There should some instructions how to combine every layer and setup Bitbake to
build up-to-date Angstrom images and packages.
As I remember all modules are build-in into kernel, that's why there is no
external ones. In other words, kernel doesn't depend on rootfs image (I think).
You can easily change kernel without changing any files on rootfs and vice
versa. Then you build your kernel with Bitbake using OE metadata packages for
linux modules are created. So you can grab ipk files and install them on your
rootfs (NAND) and load them as you want. Example of modules packages:
<...>./overo/kernel-module-stv6110_2.6.34-r97.6_overo.ipk./overo/kernel-module-usbtmc_2.6.34-r97.6_overo.ipk./overo/kernel-module-s2255drv_2.6.34-r97.6_overo.ipk./overo/kernel-module-twofish-common_2.6.34-r97.6_overo.ipk./overo/kernel-module-snd-seq-device_2.6.34-r97.6_overo.ipk./overo/kernel-module-sha1-generic_2.6.34-r97.6_overo.ipk<...>
There are tons of different configurations (machine, distro, your local
configuration, package configs, etc.). Let's say for console version of
Angstrom I would build omap3-console-image image, for gnome dekstop version I
would go for omap3-desktop-image. Those images builds OS images (kernel,
rootfs, etc), but with different packages included.
I hope this answered at least some of the questions.
-david