Koen Kooi wrote:
> There are plans to make a rewrite of narcissus ("echo") to move more of
> the processing to javascript (less php and shell). So before starting
> that, what changes would you like to see? And more importantly, do you
> want to help out making those changes?

Hmm, interesting. So, my suggestions:

* Always make clear the revisions of the metadata that were used to build
the packages. At the moment it's not always easy to see this information
particularly if you are working on the metadata and want to solve a
problem seen by a user in the images produced by Narcissus.

* Provide not only a rootfs but also links to the kernel and any other
applicable files that you got from the OE build.

* Link to installation instructions for the machine if available

* Use a database or other more configurable source to produce the options
for additional packages / package groups to be added to the image -
perhaps extract part of this data from the packaging index files?

* Have a closer link to the actual package building on the backend
(BitBake), so anyone can see when the last set of packages were built or
if there is a build currently in progress.

* The biggest one: would be nice if it was not dependent on the browser
session - i.e. if you close your browser window, refresh at any time, etc.
it does not affect the assembly process on the backend - the processing
page is just a view into that process. This would require some kind of
process pooling on the backend, and either a login or cookie on the
frontend to be able to identify users again the next time. The pooling
would have the added benefit of being able to better control the number of
images being assembled at once.

As to whether I can help, I can't make any promises particularly as I have
limited experience with Javascript and builting websites, but I'd
certainly like to.

Cheers,
Paul

-----