Koen Kooi wrote:
> Op 30 aug. 2011, om 09:55 heeft Paul Eggleton het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> * Have a closer link to the actual package building on the backend
>> (BitBake), so anyone can see when the last set of packages were built or
>> if there is a build currently in progress.
>
> The problem is that narcissus knows nothing about bitbake, it's just a
> fancy way of 'opkg update ; opkg install foo'.

Yes, and I'm not necessarily suggesting a deviation from that. I figured
assuming that continues to be the model, it might still be nice to get
some more visibility into the actual build process, but no control over it
from the web interface.

> If we continue with that
> model, we have the following to work with:
>
> 1) /etc/angstrom-version:
>
> root@beagleboard:~# cat /etc/angstrom-version
> Angstrom v2011.08-core (Core edition)
> Built from branch: master
> Revision: 4816116d9c08c82e38dc5d95a170e2904bfe3786 [1]
> Target system: arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi

BTW will this revision information be expanded for the OE-core model of
multiple metadata repos? Might be ugly but it seems to me the single
revision isn't as useful as it was previously.

> Now, suppose we break with the 'opkg update ; opkg install foo' model and
> start leveraging sstate we can have a 'toplevel' thing that manages both
> narcissus options (read: package checkboxes) and autobuilder config (read:
> list of recipes to build):
>
> 1) have an autobuilder build the machine x packages set daily and store
> info (success, revisions, etc) into a shared db
> 2) make narcissus pull info from that db when presenting the options.
>
> As more hardware becomes available we could even have narcissus add the
> build to a workqueue for the autobuilder directly. This needs to be
> considered carefully, since the plain 'opkg install' method is already
> eating a big chunk of IO. The Oregon instance of narcissus is already
> using an SSD for the workdir since a spinning disk was too slow for the
> workload. Have a look at the last 30 days:
>
> http://narcissus.angstrom-distribution.org/graph.php?timeframe=30
>
> or the past year for beagleboard:
>
> http://narcissus.angstrom-distribution.org/graph.php?timeframe=365&machine=beagleboard
>
> The images aren't small either:
>
> 20110830 06:07:51  akita        95M
> 20110830 07:12:51  beagleboard  30M
> 20110830 07:40:10  beagleboard  692M
> 20110830 07:41:26  beagleboard  8.6M
> 20110830 07:44:43  dm355-leopard        31M
> 20110830 07:49:13  beagleboard  35M
> 20110830 07:52:26  beagleboard  30M
> 20110830 07:58:57  beagleboard  322M
> 20110830 07:59:54  omap3evm     456M
> 20110830 08:15:41  at91sam9263ek        32M
> 20110830 08:32:13  h2200        93M
> 20110830 08:51:20  beagleboard  13M
> 20110830 08:56:02  beagleboard  258M
> 20110830 09:02:20  beagleboard  48M
>
> With all this info being known and the fact that narcissus will run
> parallel to echo for the time being, what design should we choose?

Well, one thing to consider as well is that it's very likely at some point
in the near future that we will be writing a BitBake web-UI within the
Yocto Project, and although it has not been designed yet I would expect
that to be along similar lines to the "hob" GTK2+-based UI, at least in
terms of the options it allows the user to change. The question is though,
in a distro like Angstrom where you've specified quite a lot of policy
(preferred versions, features, etc.) that you wouldn't necessarily want to
allow the user to configure, does a UI at the BitBake level make sense?

Cheers,
Paul

-----
Paul Eggleton