Hi Merciadri,

Answering your first email -

Merciadri Luca wrote:

I tried

$ python make-bootbundle.py -o "outfile.exe" "haret-0.5.2.exe"
"zImage-kexecboot-2.6.26-r12-splitz.bin"
"initramfs-bootmenu-image-hx4700.cpio.gz" "startup.txt.bootimage"

It results in a "outfile.exe" but my Hx4700 seems not to like it at all:

---
HaRET boot
Shutting down hardware
Turning off MMU...
In preloader
PSR=600000df
Tags relocated
Kernel relocated
Initrd relocated
Jumping to Kernel...
---
and does not anything of more.

I think that the first problem is due to the kernel that you're using, which is a kexecboot kernel. Try one of the kernels from the Narcissus images' /boot directory, instead. I'm not sure how the kexecboot kernels work - I think that they have an initramfs bundled with them, somehow. I have not been using kexecboot with my tests at all, because it confuses things a little. In the test above, my 'initramfs-bootmenu-image-hx4700.cpio.gz' system is for the 2.6.21 kernel.

You can see that I tried with the 2.6.26-r12 image, which was really
difficult to find on the Internet. I had however modified the
startup.txt.bootimage consequently (to adopt the new kernel).

I also tried with 2.6.21, but it fails too: it begins booting, then writes
No bootable devices found.
Insert bootable device!
R: Reboot S: Rescan devices

Why?

It's looking for a bootable system on recognised media. This is another one of my guesses: I think that it looks for ext2 filesystems on all attached cards. In this case, you want it to boot from the initramfs in the loader, and you don't need kexecboot at all. A regular kernel will do, with the 'root=/dev/ram0' command line parameter.

G'day,

Lex