Merciadri Luca wrote:

This is the answer to your two e-mails.

The kernel I am using is effectively a kexecboot one. Are they deprecated?

No, but they're for booting a system from a storage card, such as CF or SD, and not for initramfs. Because they have a built-in initramfs, they'd completely ignore any initramfs that is supplied (see below).

I also think that kexecboot kernels have an initramfs bundled with them.

I agree - you can compile the initramfs into the kernel, and have a fixed command line as well; this is used for embedded systems, which is effectively what we have with the hx4700, though doing that would make things inflexible.

zImage-kexecboot-2.6.26-r12-splitz.bin seems to be a newer kernel, compared
to 2.6.21. I do not remember at all where I found it (it was ~2 A.M. some
weeks ago): may be on a FTP.

Ah. When I first saw that filename ('zImage-kexecboot-2.6.26-r12-splitz.bin'), I initially mis-read it as 'spitz', and I thought this was a Zaurus kernel ('Spitz' is one of their many dog-named models).

I am going to try to make all these things work, but I think that the main
problem of all these things is that there is no clear (i.e. coming from the
developers) explanation about what should be done, what should be tried, and
what should be avoided. We are all guessing, and, as we are motivated, this
often succeeds, but at the price of time, and we all know that time is
precious.

I really wish the developers would spend more time on the Angström-users list - I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

Lucky me that you have Hx4700 too!

Yes, it is. I almost sold it (on eBay) a couple of years ago, but it was returned because of a fault. Since then, it's been back to the repair shop a few times. Luckily, I got an extended cover contract. My hx4700 has lasted well, considering that it was made in 2004! With Angström, it's got a new lease of life. It's still got WM2003 in ROM as I flashed it once and it didn't like it (it was back to the repair shop, briefly).

I think that Angström is a promising distro, and I would like to develop a
quick starting guide for it, but I need time (and help) to do this. (This is
not for now.)

I'd be prepared to help with this, if you need any bits clarified or written up. I should mention that I am not an expert - merely someone who likes gadgets.

It is too late, as you can see on Google: type
``Luca Merciadri'' and it will result in everything but ``Luca Merciadri''!
(Thus, there is no problem about this: everything is my fault!)

From now on, shall I address you as 'Luca' then, to reverse the mistake? [grin]

Lex