Hi Anne,

> I have spent some (far too much) time to get Angstrom working properly
> on Collie/SL-5500. Most of the hard stuff (kernel) was already
> documented/fixed elsewhere on the Web, so I just had to go out and
> collect it all. Result is that today Collie has a really well working
> system, probably for the very first time since the OpenZaurus days.
>
> So for your viewing pleasure:
> http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/CollieInstall2010
> http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/CollieEnhancements

Wow, that's a huge amount of work. Thanks very much for documenting all of
this!

> There's quite a lot of stuff on those pages that could be fixed in
> Angstrom itself to give a better install experience. But I have no
> idea whether you still consider Collie to be an interesting platform.

Well, I know a lot of others have moved on from the Zaurus, but personally
I still have an interest in older handheld devices including Collie; in
fact I now have one as of just recently (although I have done nothing with
it yet.)

Ideally we want to get to a point where no post-install fixes or
workarounds are needed, and in order to achieve this we need to integrate
those changes into OE. This is a little tricky at the moment as OE is in a
transition period to openembedded-core and there is currently no support
for Zauruses in the new structure - I'm personally working on this in
concert with a few others in the community and hope to have something to
show very soon.

> The fact that recently all Collie kernel patches were removed from OE git
> Master as being "obsolete", makes me fear the worst...

2.6.2x-rp kernels have been removed, yes, in favour of more modern kernels
(2.6.39+). Support for Collie is supposedly integrated although I have no
idea of its current status. I see you have found one of the prebuilt
2.6.3x kernels to be non-functioning, that's unfortunate. The way forward
however IMHO is to try to get any bugs in newer kernels fixed.

> As part of my efforts, I have built all packages for collie/armv4 that are
> buildable in current OE/2011.03-maintenance. That's about 3.5 GB of
> .ipk's. I would be happy to upload them all to your official archive, if
> you don't mind accepting packages from a total stranger.

As far as the current Angstrom system is concerned the officially
supported feeds are built automatically, and I think we've tried to move
away from hand-built stuff as it's not as reproducible. On the other hand
if you have a list of useful things that are missing from the official
feeds I'm sure Koen would be happy to add them to be automatically built.

> Don't expect me to continue much further after this; i.e. this might well
> be my last mail to this list. My Collie is now doing what I wanted
> (offline html  browsing with decent javascript & css), and I've got a
> rather large stack of other stuff to take care of...

Well, we certainly appreciate your contributions, and hope that you'll
continue to contribute in future when time allows.

Cheers,
Paul

-----
Paul Eggleton