You can even download the free Arduino IDE (arduino.cc) and use the simple pulldown menu (Tools->Serial Port) to find the serial port.

Sometimes I have to run Arduino as root (sudo arduino) to get full access to the port. This is a bug on my laptop, because I don't have this problem on all my Linux machines, but I'm mentioning it in case it bites you as well.

(Yes, I checked that I'm in the dialout group or whatever it's called)

Michael Shiloh
Artist, designer, tinkerer, teacher, geek
KA6RCQ
www.teachmetomake.com
www.teachmetomake.com/wordpress
teachmetomake.wordpress.com
groups.google.com/group/teach-me-to-make
michaelshiloh.pbworks.com