On 2018-12-03 06:41, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>     > OK, thanks. I'm interested in another scenario too: one where the
>     > operator will not accept using a connection to the open Internet and
>     > therefore will not accept any real-time access to any MASA. As I've
>     > said for several years, this is a highly likely scenario in some types
>     > of network which insist on air-gap security or for some other reason do
>     > not trust a MASA (see Randy Bush's comments a few weeks ago,
>     > e.g.
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/anima/rK_rlT3JH0AFGlS47XSRqQB2DJI
>     > ).
>
>     > For such networks the only solution I can see is that all MASAs are
>     > replaced by a single OASA (Operator Authorized Signing Authority) that
>     > is configured and controlled by the operator. It handles the
>
>     > Registrar-MASA protocol and returns vouchers exactly like a MASA,
>     > except that it emphatically isn't on the global Internet. The OASA
>     > would procure a long-life voucher (normally from the relevant MASA, via
>     > a nonceless registrar voucher-request) when a device is purchased and
>     > added to inventory, and then deliver that voucher or a short-term
>     > voucher when a registrar needs it. Instead of using the MASA URL for
>     > each manufacturer, registrar-to-OASA connections all use a locally
>     > defined URL for the OASA. Otherwise the protocol is standard BRSKI.
>
> So you are looking for a kind of transitivity in vouchers.
> The long-lived voucher points to an intermediary, and that intermediary can
> further delegate.  I originally described such a situation back in 2014.
>
> This is from my bookmarks, I hope it's the right bookmark, as I'm writing
> this offline (above Torchwood):
>
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/6tisch-security/2kObJLkLlhuI-HU9s5yqfRm0n00
>
> Such a system also supports resale, with the caveat that the secondary
> vendors can potentially reassert their ownership!

Yes. If I'm not mistaken this would still work if the manufacturer
no longer exists and its private key has been destroyed. As I think
Randy Bush said, it's not OK if a device becomes unusable when that
happens. Basically we need transfer of ownership to mean transfer
of the ability to create a voucher.

> A different system, which I'm writing up now in response to the reviews, is
> that the the original vendor supports replacing the IDevID.  This permits the
> first owner to change their root trust anchor to them.  They then become the
> MASA for the next owner.   This requires no new protocol mechanisms.
>
> This permits a number of scenarios including:
>    1) resale without OEM permission
>    2) "off-line" MASA/OASA as you describe above.
>    3) ship-to-aggregator-and-forget
>    4) death of OEM.
>
> However, it requires the device to go through an enrollment cycle prior to
> death of OEM, and it requires the OEM to permit the IDevID anchor to be
> replaced (and the replacement to persist through factory resets).
> It is not clear to me that many vendors will be willing to do this, however,

But then maybe people will refuse to buy their products.

> it is really the ultimate "root"ing of the device, and the OEM very
> clearly no longer has any warantee or liability if this is done.
>
> There are some half-transfer mechanisms were one could consider if the LDevID
> is permitted to be used, leaving the IDevID also available.  This seems
> mechanically easy, but seems to open many issues.

I think all this needs to be explored in detail. Whether that is ANIMA
business is another question.

Thanks
    Brian