On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:03:52 +0900
Paolo Cavallini <cavall...@faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi all.
> As many of you know, the Home Range QGIS plugin by Anne Ghisla is no
> longer working on Windows, due to a problem in the underlying library
> rpy2. The problem is probably not going to be fixed soon, and it is
> likely to show up again.

There is some work on rpy2 side - please ask Laurent Gautier (the
author) or Giovanni Manghi, who is following the development and
packaging of newer rpy2 versions on Windows.

> IMHO, the most stable solution would be to reimplement the kernel
> analyses (do we need other?) in pure python, preferably as a Sextante
> module.

As I said in other discussions, it is more difficult and lenghty to
re-develop all code including the algorithms. A shorter and equally
functional solution is keeping R algorithms and rewrite the connector
+ interface.

Sextante already collaborates very well with R, without needing rpy2,
so my idea is to rewrite the plugin in a way that well-tested R
algorithms are still used.
If the algorithms are rewritten, it would be necessary to give the new
plugin another name, because results would not be identical to the ones
from R algorithms.

> In this way, the development will be much easier (no interface
> to be designed), and the results of this analysis could be easily
> integrated in more complex habitat modelling. My provisional estimate
> is that this can take a very few days of work.

My estimate is of a week of work, in order to migrate all functionality
and provide a user-friendly suite of tests that will help users in
isolating plugin errors.

> So the question is:
> - is anybody interested in solving this?
> - in case, is anybody available with the necessary Python skills (or
> willing to learn it)?
> - if nobody is available, we can do it, provides some funding can be
> secured, perhaps as a collective subscription or as a grant.

I am not available shortly for this work, but can give more information
to the developer who wants to complete it.

> Opinions?
> All the best.

Best,

Anne