>What I have not understand yet, do hyphens and dash causes confusion and
>support cases or only the use of dots and colones etc.? Would it be possible
>to only ban the chars that are causing the most of the trouble?

Most of the issues have to do with the hyphen, there are incidents
with the dots also (I've even seen `@groupname` once)  but if we are
only going to ban the characters after people hit the issue i still
think it is a bad experience for the new user.

>In my environmen we are using dash/hyphen in almost every group name and we
>won't change it. So I have to keep track and change the default every time I
>setup a new environment. For me that's unfortunate. But if I have to do it I
>would expect to >have information on how to do so in documentation,
>configuration files, porting guides, etc.

I know this is an inconvenient, I wish I had a better solution, but
keeping the things as they were before is IMHO a worse inconvenience
to many users, one I cannot really fix as it is a feature from a
project we depend on (Jinja) and a very popular one at that. My first
suggestion was to 'not promote dot notation in our documentation', but
that got very strong resistance and was rejected. My second suggestion
on making it a user configurable expression to sanitize the names was
also rejected . In the end we voted to force all inventory to go
through the same standard sanitation, at least I did insist on keeping
a toggle to bypass it, but the current default (backwards compatible)
had to be deprecated in favor of the 'safe default'.

We also looked (and are still looking) at other solutions, mostly
internal name replacement, but this is not something I expect to work,
even if it does it might have other major consequences.
If anyone has a solution that fixes all the underlying issues w/o
creating a burden on any of the users, we are more than happy to
listen, 'revert this cause it affects me' is not a solution as it
keeps the original problem.