Having Ansible just push out changes as soon as they're merged to `main` (or
whatever) is pleasantly CI/CD like, and means that you can solicit pull
requests
from interested parties who may not have privs to run Ansible, and not have
to push out their changes by hand once the PRs are merged. But, it makes it
harder to make temporary changes outside of Ansible, which maybe you want a
hard and fast rule against, but which is often pretty useful for testing
things, especially on sandbox type hosts.

Having Ansible run some playbook(s) (out of cron, or the scheduler of your
choice)
periodically and report back on any drift is another way around the "how do
you test things" problem, but it means that you have to then take some
additional action to push out desirable changes. But it can be simpler than
coming up with a way to say "temporarily don't let Ansible smite my changes
on this host, I'm testing stuff".