----- Original Message -----
From: "Bevan Arps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ant Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Ant Users List"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 11:17
Subject: Re: Ant for J#?

> Currently Ant is a superb tool for automating software builds as well as
> deployment and intranet documentation. This is in very large part due to
> it's ability to handle more than just "Pure Java".

yeah, it can deploy anything.

> I for one would be hugely in favour of some kind of "generic" compiler
task
> that can be configured (say through an external property file) for almost
> any compiler at all. Unfortunately, my own Java skills aren't up to
writing
> such a task so I've kept quiet.

I am not sure that a generic 'any language' compiler is appropriate. There
is <apply> if you want to try that; the problems for a generic tool are
 -dependency rules vary so much from language to language (inputs, outputs,
when/how stuff is resolved)
 -parameter option sets vary so much

There is some work going on towards a <cpp> task which support multiple back
end compilers, but will understand the basic process for creating CPP->OBJ
files, linking, .h based dependencies etc.