> > Like, the manual does not say that <fileset> inside <path> tag
> > can be used only for jar files and not source files.
>
> But where would you ever have a path that includes source files? What
> would use it? In other words, while it's not explicitly stated, the fact
> that it's a path datatype should imply that only things that are
> meaningful being part of a path should be included.

Maybe you have come to acept it that way. But what makes you
think that PATH means directories? Path for me means path to
files too. And that is what the manual too makes you think by having
<fileset>  elements nested inside <path> elements.

> > Or that path-like elements are to be used only for directories.
>
> That's only true for <javac>'s nested <src> element. Maybe it would've
> been clearer to have it be a nested <srcdir> element?
Clubbing <src> as a path like element with <classpath> is a big
confusion trigger.

> > What do I do when I want to define all the source file patterns at one
> > place and just use the refid in the javac task?
>
> If you can tell me why you want to do that, I can point you to the right
> ways of going about it.

As I told you I want to place all the source file patterns at one place.
My build file contains many targets for compiling different sets of source
files. I want to have the source file patterns for all these tasks at
one place at the top so that later when anyone visits the build file
to edit the source files to be picked he doesn't need to wade through
the big file to find where the changes need to be made.

Thanks,
Gurdev