>From a systems perspective the discussion below is exactly
backwards.

A millions-user system dependent for correct operation (e.g. one not
promoting abuse [the subject of this list]) must be [re]designed to
place the onus on the user not the registrar.   Rule: if your data are
not correct, you are off the net.    Same as if you don't pay your
bills to your ISP.    The ISP (or the electric company, or the
phone company . . . .) don't chase after you and spend hours
getting you to pay your bill.    They just disconnect you after sufficient
notice to the registered address.

At present the internet is a cesspool  of crime without effective
mechanisms of accountability and traceability.   An outsider viewing this
thread (and the dozens of others I've been monitoring for more than a
decade) would find remarkable the unspoken assumption of their
discussions: how to make life trouble-free for the registration and
contracting bodies, even though this makes inevitable the criminal
nature of the mechanism they are charged with managing.

With a proper goal in mind ("Develop our mechanisms so the internet
is no longer a cesspool of crime") the kind of discussion below
("We can't consider that because it would be a lot of work and
some people would become upset") would be out of bounds.

The matter of  the "defining discussion goal" will have to be taken up
in order to make progress on this list's putative purpose of "anti-abuse."

Jeffrey Race