A bit of a correction here.

They’re all one of these three (with the vast majority being in #1)

1. Victims of crime / fraud - and get to pay for all the security required to
block it and to ensure that their customers remain secure + don’t abuse
services

2. Victims of crime / fraud who can’t - or don’t want to - invest in such
security

3. Other outfits that see a profit motive in providing services to abusers

Still, they are part of a rather large and heavily abused ecosystem - called
the Internet.

—srs