There is a balanced discussion to be had here but unfortunately it too quickly
dissolves into acrimonious “shouting”. Volker's email expressing one side in a
somewhat antagonistic fashion being a good example of the “shouting".

As things stand at the moment, the interpretations of GDPR and subsequent
actions of some large organisations make it likely that fraud and other types
of malpractice, largely aimed at individual users, will increase.

The stated position "that tool was illegal to begin with as it violated the
rights to privacy of millions of domain owners” is, at best, misleading.
Assuming the “tool” being referred to is WHIOS, registrants of domains needed
to provide information as part of their contract with the registrar. A
contractual requirement. Perfectly OK pre GDPR, perfectly OK post GDPR.

Publishing that data was perfectly legal pre-GDPR. It _may_ be legal post GDPR.
Until this is tested in court, definitives are just so much posturing. And the
argument is likely to be more nuanced anyway. If I want to register a domain
and am told up front, in clear unambiguous language that the details I provide
will appear in a publicly queryable database as part of the contract, job done.
I may not like it. I may decide that I don’t want to enter into the contract.
And that’s rather the point. Informed consent.

Law enforcement doesn't provide anti-virus tools. Law enforcement doesn't offer
secure transport services for cash and gold. Law enforcement doesn’t provide
locks for front doors. Private companies provide those services. Your
fancifully termed ""Private researchers" and other vigilantes or rent-a-cops”
work to provide tools and services to enable people to protect themselves from
bad actors online, not law enforcement. It is folly to remove tools used by
these private companies to protect billions without at least some form of
balanced debate.

At ICANN, Puerto Rico, one member of a public interest board put it quite well
when he stated that when it comes to protecting the interests of a few million
(domain owners) versus protecting the interests of a few billion (internet
users), he’d always come done on the side of the billions. I agree with the
sentiment.

Simon

> On 29 May 2018, at 12:36, Volker Greimann <vgreim...@key-systems.net> wrote:
>
> Wow, the level of narrowmindedness and fearmongering is high with this one.
>
> Crime online will likely not increase due to GDPR. It may be more difficult
> to detect and take action against due to the loss of one tool amongst many,
> but ultimately that tool was illegal to begin with as it violated the rights
> to privacy of millions of domain owners.
>
> "Private researchers" and other vigilantes or rent-a-cops will indeed have a
> more difficult time to obtain such data as they will finally have to do so by
> legal means, but then they are in an untenable position anyway, taking upon
> themselves functions that should be fulfilled by actual law enforcement.
>
> Ultimately, private data if internet users no longer being public will lead
> to better registration data for those with a right to access it. Those with
> no such rights will have to figure out alternate routes to do their jobs that
> does not violate the rights of millions.
>
> Best,
>
> Volker
>

> Am 28.05.2018 um 21:13 schrieb Ronald F. Guilmette:
>> ox <an...@ox.co.za> wrote:
>>
>>> Firstly I would like to comment that the multinationals and their funded
>>> trade
>>> groups (and their lobby orgs) shouted from the rooftops that if the GDPR