In message <ucmywicn6ukcf...@highwayman.com>, you wrote:

>This is going to be somewhat challenging ... since there are a
>substantial number of well-known (and generally non-abusive entities)
>who are announcing unallocated address space, and in many cases they
>have been doing so for years on end.

Yea.  Ya know, this guy was also carrying on, "legitimately" for years
and years, and everybody believed that what he was doing was perfectly
legitimate, right up until the day when nobody did:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Madoff

If it's not your assigned space, then it's not your assigned space.
This isn't, like, complicated or anything.

For anyone who ernestly believes that coloring outside of the lines
is in some cases acceptable, I'd like to see you try that by driving
on the Wrong Side of the autobahn sometime.

The lines are there for a reason.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.   In my own country, there was in fact lots and lots of "open"
land, about a century and a half ago or so, and cattlemen of that
era did in fact graze, water and walk their heards on and across
such lands routinely, and without paying anyone or anything for the
privilege.

If a majority of the RIPE community wants to have an IP equivalent
of such "open range" grazing land, then so be it.  I would just
suggest that before deciding to support this, you all watch the
movie "Open Range" with Kevin Kostner and Robert Duvall and take
note of the potential for homicidal conflict over the rights to
use such open real estate before you decide to support this sort
of thing.  If nobody owns it but everyone is allowed to use it,
havoc and mayhem have historically ensued.