In message <94320.1553230...@segfault.tristatelogic.com>, Ronald F.
Guilmette <r...@tristatelogic.com> writes

>In message <hb1cgocoy9kcf...@highwayman.com>,
>Richard Clayton <rich...@highwayman.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes hijacks can be simple to understand -- but they can be very complex
>>and perfectly legitimate activity can look like a hijack until a lot of
>>detail has been considered.
>
>I'm a simple minded man, and I guess I'm perplexed by this.
>
>Isn't the whole point of route registries generally and RIPE's in particular
>supposed to be to make it easy for pretty much any arbitrary outsider to
>look at a given block and a given route to that block and conclude that
>the two -do- in fact properly go together, or conversely, that they do not?

not everything is in a route registry --- and you may recall some
previous work that I did showing that the mere presence of entries in a
route registry is no guarantee that it reflects an actual peering
arrangement:

<https://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2015/11/02/ongoing-badness-in-the-
ripe-database/>

note of course that some changes have been made since then which improve
the situation as regards out-of-area space

--
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755