In message <6179dc11-f299-c076-0ae1-2f2d22eb6...@foobar.org>,
Nick Hilliard <n...@foobar.org> wrote:

>If there were legislation and enforcement in this area, we wouldn't be
>having this conversation.

Yes, actually, we would.

Does anybody really believe that if, for example, Moldova outlawed BGP
hijacking tomorrow *and* if they even started arresting suspects, that
the entire problem would utterly disappear from the entire RIPE region
the day after that?  I think not.  France?  The Neatherlands?  Sweden?
No. No. No.  There isn't a single european country whose laws can
bring this plague to an end, nor even any subset of european countries.
The problem no more respects national boundaries than does the influenza
virus.

Furthermore, I very much look forward to the day when one or more BGP
hijackers... or *any* kind of cybercriminal for that matter...  will be
extradited from Russia to stand trial in some less friendly jurisdiction.
But today is not that day.

Regards,
rfg