On Wed, 3 Apr 2019, Michele Neylon - Blacknight wrote:

Is someone encouraging astroturfing?

The number of either new or inactive members of this list who have posted one line messages in support of the recent policy discussion has reached insane levels

This specific discussion was highlighted to me and was the reason I joined the list. I've been reading a lot of the comments and haven't responded yet, but this is my first post to this list so I come under the above group.

As an outsider, what I would say is that there's a lot of noise here. Was I not from the community in the wider sense and undertand the concept of how technical communities come up with policies, I'd be put right off. I think this environment makes it easier for those with more control over their time to contribute. I can see some really valuable and thought out contributions, alongside shorter ones where I can't see the thinking process.

It can be quite valid for members of this community to have a legitimate view on the issues raised in the 2019-03 proposal without being willing to commit huge amounts of time in debating in this environment. I'm not that familiar with the RIPE policty process but my understanding is the next phase means we will have a revision. What is unclear to me is whether it would have outstanding questions which could be summarised such that those '+1' responses could indicate more about their views on the specifics around particular aspects of the proposals which are controversial rather than ending up with what is almost-voting kind of support.

seb

--
NetConnex Broadband Ltd.
tel. +44 870 745 4830  fax. +44 870 745 4831