Hi All

So maybe a word from an "Incident Responder".

I do feel very much, that we should have an abuse conntact, and it
should be tested to wok, in the sense that some one reads the mail sent
there.

Here are my reasons:

- Having such a mailbox may increase the pressure for orgs to actually
do something. My experience from previous job showed, that keep sending
abuse reports, despite complaints about "spam" eventually convinced a
lot of orgs to act. Essentially you take away the excuste "Oh, but we
didn't know"

- Even for orgs that don't react having such a conntact helps, because
it allows us to build up a history of ignored requests, which cann then
be used to reminde these orgs that they actually are part of the
problem. It is a sad fact, that a threat to your reputation, even if
it's only in colsed community, seems to sometimes help convincing said
org to reract. Finally if, at some state more drastic action would be
necessary (Think Russian Bussines Network at the time), you can build a
case.

- Lastly: It makes our life as Incident responders easier to have a
uniform way of sending reports, even if not all of them are followed up.

I kind of don't buy into "There is no point on placing a burden on orgs
that choose not to act".

Best
Serge

--
Dr. Serge Droz
Chair, Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST)