On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 2:46 PM Leo Vegoda <l...@vegoda.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:02 AM Jeffrey Race <jr...@post.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Aside from the reciprocity issue, it's a basic engineering rule
> > that systems target their goal only when a corrective
> > feedback path exists.
>
> That feedback path does not need to be a personally written e-mail.
> Instead, it is possible to use signals like the absence of a reliable
> reporting mechanism to make decisions about not accepting some or all
> traffic from an abusing network.
>
> My main concern with proposal 2019-04 is that it would make everyone
> look the same. It then takes time and effort to distinguish the
> networks that will actually use abuse reports to fix problems from
> those that won't or just don't have the ability to do so.
>
> While I would accept Gert's proposal for making abuse-c an optional
> attribute, the reason I offered a counter proposal for publishing "a
> statement to the effect that the network operator does not act on
> abuse reports" is to add clarity at a high level.
>
> In the first case, it avoids wasting resources lodging reports that
> will be ignored. Secondly, it provides reliable statistical
> information about the networks whose operators claim to use abuse
> reports to clean things up. This would provide a metric that could be
> used both by other network operators to guide operational policies and
> governments or regulators to set theirs.

I suspect I'm somewhat confused / have lost the thread somewhere.

I really don't think that any network is likely to advertise that they
are not dealing with abuse -- it gives a bad impression, and the
marketing droids will likely want *something* listed. The same goes
for legal - saying "Meh, don't bother sending us abuse reports, we
ignore them" doesn't seem to have any PR / marketing / legal upside,
and has many downsides...

Pretend that you are a network that (largely) ignores abuse reports --
your current solution of throwing these mails away costs you nothing;
what's the upside to telling everyone that you are doing this?

I suspect that people will continue to have abuse@, hostmaster@,
abuse-c,and any other conventions filled in -- and many will just
continue to shuffle these into self-closing ticket systems / mailboxes
which never get read and / or /dev/null...

> Finally, we don't yet know what the RIPE Database Requirements TF will
> recommend. But I think that building a new business process on the
> existing model for publishing contact information assumes they won't
> recommend changes. Let's wait until they report before asking the RIPE
> NCC to build new workflows on a model that the community might want to
> change.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Leo Vegoda

idea in the first place.