Hi Alex,

My reading of the eCommerce Directive
(https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32000L0031) is
different. Some points (most relevant text only):

(40) …  the provisions of this Directive relating to liability should not
preclude the development and effective operation, by the different interested
parties, of technical systems of protection and identification and of technical
surveillance instruments …

(44) A service provider who deliberately collaborates with one of the
recipients of his service in order to undertake illegal acts goes beyond the
activities of "mere conduit" or "caching" and as a result cannot benefit from
the liability exemptions established for these activities.

(46) In order to benefit from a limitation of liability, the provider of an
information society service, consisting of the storage of information, upon
obtaining actual knowledge or awareness of illegal activities has to act
expeditiously to remove or to disable access to the information concerned ...

So, if I'm reading it correctly (not being a lawyer), a service provider not
acting against abuse when it has been informed of so, is liable. I'm sure if
the service provider tries to avoid being "informed" by not looking at
notifications (email, postal, fax, etc.), they will also be liable in front of
courts.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet