(Yes, I'm still X-Posting, folks, this will be my last email to all the copied
WGs)

Ronald,

I have no issue with this group fighting abuse, I never have. In fact I would
warmly welcome more policies, documentation and actions that can do that. That
isn't to say there haven't been some put forward, albeit not all of those have
reached consensus. That is the nature of our system, but I will say again that
we are further along than we were and I hope that progress, even if it's slower
than some may like, continues.

What I do not think is suitable is a mail to this and other lists putting out
vague comments, with the most specific (ie the position on a list) referring to
the wrong person, about an election that is specific to members of the RIPE
NCC. The crossover is significant, but far from total and I do not feel this is
the proper place for electioneering.

But you are right, I am not the king. Nor would I ever want to be. I am a
co-chair of the AA-WG and as such am a facilitator, a coordinator and a
go-between between this group and other groups. Part of that role is to
facilitate discussion on this list, including the kind of email I sent
yesterday.

However I was appointed by this Working Group and it is entirely up to the
Working Group if they wish me to continue in the job. The process, for those
who are curious, is contained within this document:

https://www.ripe.net/participate/ripe/wg/anti-abuse/anti-abuse-wg-chair-selection-process

This is not done to garner support, nor check in on how I'm doing, albeit
feedback is always welcome, rather I want to be as transparent as possible.
There is a lot of inertia in our community, as there is in others, and
sometimes people assume that those in what we shall loosely refer to as
"leadership positions" are immovable.

Anyway, to return to your point and that of others. Is this Working Group, as a
single entity, doing enough to fight abuse on the Internet? Almost certainly
not.

Are many, many members, including people such as yourself Ronald, working very
hard in a lot of places? Absolutely.

How do we do more? Well, to my mind, we go back to the charter (which can, of
course, be changed by the Working Group at any point in time) and ask why we
have never done the documentation work that's in there? Also, we continue with
incremental policy changes, which is a long, hard, slow road, but gets results.

I would also be mindful of what Tõnu said in regards to outside regulation,
something I have mentioned at times.

But as with any WG, the power and action is in the hands of the members, not
*just* the Co-Chairs, who are members too.

As a final point, if you have a preference as to who you would like to see
elected in May and you don't have a vote yourself, then I encourage you to
reach out to your friends and colleagues who are members of the RIPE NCC to
discuss it with them, broadcast it to suitable fora, hire planes to write
messages in the sky, but please, don't do it here.

Thank you,

Brian
Co-Chair, RIPE AA-WG

Brian Nisbet
Service Operations Manager
HEAnet CLG, Ireland's National Education and Research Network
1st Floor, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin D01 X8N7, Ireland
+35316609040 brian.nis...@heanet.ie www.heanet.ie
Registered in Ireland, No. 275301. CRA No. 20036270