On Fri 10/May/2024 13:57:44 +0200 Nick Hilliard wrote:
Serge,

there's been extensive debate on AAWG over the years about the principles behind your additional suggestions below, but very little consensus. If sanctioning is added to the charter of a new security-wg, this lack of consensus is likely to continue, and the only outcome will be that the WG will be distracted from other productive output.

Sanctioning has various meanings, from penalties and coercive measures to hinder or discouragement. Before putting that into the charter we should discuss and reach consensus about what meaning we exactly mean, which includes clarifying what leeway is the RIPE NCC allowed. At a minimum, listing proven bad actors must be possible.

I understand why you might want it in there, but punitive action is not within the remit of the RIPE NCC. Similarly on point 2, advocacy is important, but requirement / enforcement is out of scope for both the RIPE Community and RIPE NCC.

Implementing solutions and utilities is certainly in scope.

Best
Ale