I wouldn't like to argue with Kole who usually has very clear views on
Yugoslav matters.
But this explanation is only surface impression.
The issue has nothing to do with personal sympathies and even less with
ability of president Milosevic to influence Russian internal affairs by
supporting this or another party.
Russia did not veto for the same reason why it did not veto imposing of UN
embargo against Yugoslavia in 1992 - embargo which was as tough as Iraqi
one. And it was simply because at that stage Russia was completely incapable
in protecting its own interests. That situation culminated with NATO
aggression, which Russia was unable to prevent, nor to express effective
enough military support to Yugoslavia. They supported us in words, which was
also something, promising that they will work for us with US. And finally
they came with compromise (only few days after much bigger promises) - NATO
in Kosovo, but with UN mandate and with UN guaranties for territorial
integrity of Yugoslavia. Accept it or there will be no more Russian support
at all.
But that aggression was also lesson for them. It accelerated Putin's coming
to power.
Now Russia takes much more care about its own interests, but still not
enough to change our situation.
Our government always tried to develop relations with Russia and its
government on the broadest basis of common interests. Relations with all
political parties were of course not equally developed, depending on degree
of their support. They haven't existed only with political forces which
appeared to be exponents of anti Russian foreign interests in Russia.

To join or help this struggle, visit:
http://www.sps.org.yu/ (official SPS website)
http://www.belgrade-forum.org/ (forum for the world of equals)
http://www.icdsm.org/ (the international committee to defend Slobodan