On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 11:47:38PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is the very first time I'm attempting to get AOLServer compiled and
> going on Linux, after failing miserably using Solaris 8.

        We have been running AOLserver on Solaris just fine for years. I
compile it with gcc and GNU make on Solaris.

> [15/May/2001:23:42:24][23259.1024][-main-] Error: nssock: failed to
> listen on 63.12.31.202:8000: Cannot assign requested address

        It looks like Mandrake is doing something weird, as usual. Perhaps the
security settings that you selected at install time do not allow mortal
users to bind no unprivildged ports (that's a wild guess).
        Try starting it as root, passing the -u and -g flags, like this:

        ,/bin/nsd -u nsadmin -g nsadmin -ft config.tcl

        Notice that the -f flag is to run it in the foreground. If you still
have problems, send me your config file and I'll take a look.

> Anyone have any ideas to solve this and get AOLServer working properly?

        If you're going to using AOLserver to run OpenACS, I'd suggest
grabbing the sample AOLserver config file from http://openacs.org/doc/openacs
since it has a bunch of stuff all ready for you to use (including
PostgreSQL db pools, etc).
        Also, I presume you want to access PG with it, grab the latest
PostgreSQL driver from openacs.org. The one that comes with AOLserver is
not as current.

        -Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+