Ok,

Now it's at least giving :

[16/May/2001:01:08:26][1631.1024][-main-] Notice: nssock: listening on
63.35.228.24:8000

Did this by reading through the Mandrake 7.2 "msec" (Mandrake Security)
documentation (which seems not to be in the Mandrake 8.0 Reference
Manual, unless I just somehow missed it), and then reconfigured
Mandrakes' "Security Level" via :

# msec custom

Chose options which appear to allow programs to bind to unpriviledged
ports, but nothing too lax to leave the machine wide open, and AOLServer
at least starts up and binds to ports now.

I'll grab the preconfigured OpenACS version of the AOLServer config file
and others bits now too Roberto, then get OpenACS working.

One step at a time...

Thanks heaps guys!

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Roberto Mello wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 11:47:38PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This is the very first time I'm attempting to get AOLServer compiled and
> > going on Linux, after failing miserably using Solaris 8.
>
>         We have been running AOLserver on Solaris just fine for years. I
> compile it with gcc and GNU make on Solaris.
>
> > [15/May/2001:23:42:24][23259.1024][-main-] Error: nssock: failed to
> > listen on 63.12.31.202:8000: Cannot assign requested address
>
>         It looks like Mandrake is doing something weird, as usual. Perhaps the
> security settings that you selected at install time do not allow mortal
> users to bind no unprivildged ports (that's a wild guess).
>         Try starting it as root, passing the -u and -g flags, like this:
>
>         ,/bin/nsd -u nsadmin -g nsadmin -ft config.tcl
>
>         Notice that the -f flag is to run it in the foreground. If you still
> have problems, send me your config file and I'll take a look.
>
> > Anyone have any ideas to solve this and get AOLServer working properly?
>
>         If you're going to using AOLserver to run OpenACS, I'd suggest
> grabbing the sample AOLserver config file from http://openacs.org/doc/openacs
> since it has a bunch of stuff all ready for you to use (including
> PostgreSQL db pools, etc).
>         Also, I presume you want to access PG with it, grab the latest
> PostgreSQL driver from openacs.org. The one that comes with AOLserver is
> not as current.
>
>         -Roberto
> --
> +----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+
>   Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net
>        http://www.sdl.usu.edu - Space Dynamics Lab, Developer
> Dammit no!  Don't pick on the pho^$ L%æ#!ø¯

     - Indira Gandhi