On 2001.05.15, Justin Clift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is the very first time I'm attempting to get AOLServer compiled and
> going on Linux, after failing miserably using Solaris 8.

How did you "fail miserably"?  The only problem I had compiling
AOLserver 3.3.1 on Solaris 2.6 was the fact that I'm using an OLD
version of gcc (2.7.2.3, IIRC) which didn't like the "-mcpu=ultrasparc"
so I removed that from the Makefile.global and it built with no
other changes.  I was also building this on a sun4m (sparc20) so...

Perhaps if you send the errors you received when trying to compile
to the mailing list, we could tell you what needs to happen ...

> Have just installed a Linux Mandrake 8.0 system, and am attempting to
> get AOLServer running on it.  Are there any known issues with AOLServer
> and Mandrake Linux 8.0?  This is a Linux Kernel 2.4.3 SMP machine if
> that has any bearing on the situation.

My gut reaction is "no, there should be no reason why it shouldn't
compile out-of-the-box on Mandrake Linux 8.0" but, well, this _is_
Yet Another Linux Distribution we're talking about, who knows what
they've done differently.

> Have followed this set of instructions :
>
> a) Uncompressed the AOLServer 3.3.1 tar.gz archive to a temporary
> location
> b) Using an everyday, normal user, entered this directory and did
> "gmake" (no problems there), then "gmake install", then "gmake
> install-tests"
> c) Created the nsadmin group, created the nsadmin user, having it's
> default group also be nsadmin
> d) Did chown -Rh nsadmin.nsadmin /usr/local/aolserver
> e) su - nsadmin
> f) Entered /usr/local/aolserver and copied sample-config.tcl to
> config.tcl
>
> g) (Here's the problem) Attempted to start AOLServer using :
>
> ./bin/nsd -ft ./config.tcl

Yes, here IS the problem.

Skip step "e", as if you want to bind to a port less than 1024
most likely you will need to start nsd as root.  You need to
start it this way:

# cd /usr/local/aolserver
# ./bin/nsd -u nsadmin -g nsadmin -ft config.tcl

Don't type the "#", it's meant to represent your prompt as root.

HTH, HAND,

- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara                       mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]