I rolled my own in Tcl. It loads a file of usernames/passwords every 15
mins. It stores these in nsv arrays. Pretty simple, and fast enough. I have
a request processor registered at preauth that checks a urlacls file that
contains each ACL'd URL and causes a challenge to be issued based on the
info in it.

Why not use nsperms? Because it didn't fit my needs and was a bit too
restrictive for me. I need to be able to check for a client SSL certificate
first, then failover to username password.

/s.