+---------- On May 9, atfrost said:
> Tedious stuff, eh?  But I'm not convinced that this isn't a bug.

Oh, I'm sure it's a bug.  I'm just saying that it's probably not
something easily solved, or something that can be solved simply by
implementing published standards.

> As far as I can tell, the current (5.0+) versions of IE and Netscape
> submit form data using whatever encoding is being used to view the form
> submit page.  At least, this has been my emperical experience - I'm not
> too sure what happens when you do something like submit Japanese
> characters from an iso-8859-1 encoded page...

But then you have to ask whether you can rely on users having those
versions of the browsers.  When I worked on this stuff some two years
ago, I suggested just doing everything in UTF-8.  But Henry Minsky (in
the ArsDigita Japan office) said browsers that support UTF-8 had only
50% penetration in Japan at the time, so we couldn't just do that.
Maybe by now the fraction is close enough to one that transmitting and
receiving only in UTF-8 is feasible.

> Does AOLServer perform any implicit silent conversion on received form
> data?

Through version 3.3, standard AOLserver doesn't do any "silent
conversion". However, Tcl does, in some circumstances.  It depends on
what you do with the data.

I never looked much at AOLserver 3.4, but I think they might have added
a little bit of I18N support in that version.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't
as complete as what I did for ArsDigita, though.  You might want to try
switching to that version.

> It seems that there must be a way to correct the modification
> that's happening to the data, since AOLServer undoes whatever it's
> doing when it ships the data back out to the client.

The problem is that Tcl may perform uninvertable transformations on
strings that are not in normalized UTF-8 format.