On Thursday 07 November 2002 13:21, Jim Davidson wrote:
> As you may have noticed, we've been making some changes with our management
> of the AOLserver project here at AOL.  Basically, we're applying some
> lessons learned from other successful OpenSource projects such as Apache to
> provide better support for you in the community.  To help you understand
> these changes, I'd like to provide you some background on AOLserver
> including my role in the project.
[snip]

As an AOLserver/AOLpress (RIP) user since May 1997, I applaud the new
direction this project is taking.  The moves of the last few weeks are
refreshing to me, and reinforce my decision to continue forward with
AOLserver rather than an Apache/PHP cookie-cutter site for WGCR Radio.  We
are in the midst of a redesign/revamp using OpenACS 4, and the direction the
base server takes or doesn't take is critical in my continued justification
of using a fairly arcane and obscure webserver.  My insistence on using this
particular server has come under fire before because the server isn't as
popular as some.

While I don't feel like I should be on core, I do want to continue helping as
I can with development in the future. As the shape of 4.0 develops, I can
focus on how that will impact the PostgreSQL driver, to the point that I may
be able to maintain that.  Maybe I will have the time I would like to have to
do this.

In all honesty, I was beginning to wonder about the wisdom of continuing to
use AOLserver in this application, but the renewed vigor in this area is
nice.  So, today will be the first chat I will attend, as ramifordistat,
because of this rejuvenation.

Jim, many thanks for the explanation, and I look forward to continuing using
this fine server.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio