Scott wrote:
> ... lower the bar to getting a copy of AOLserver running ...

To revisit the documentation theme in this context of attracting new users,
I remember the sensory overload of picking up AOLserver / ACS from scratch
18 months ago.  I've been developing software on and off for 38 years
(yikes!), so it's no sweat in theory to pick up a few new languages /
platforms.  But becoming proficient is another story - in the beginning, you
have to look up almost everything - very little is yet committed to memory,
and you are in the blind spot of "don't know what you don't know" an awful
lot of the time.  In this mode, you want to access documentation differently
than when you are an expert or expert-in-the-making.

For example, you often want to see things organized by function, not
alphabetically -- you don't yet know the name of what you're looking for!
You want to see a function's arguments and their meaning right next to its
overall description for fastest access - not looking in two different
places.  You find it useful to browse among _all_ related commands in a
given functional area to get a full mental picture of what's available, and
start thinking about when to employ each.  A grouping scheme that's fairly
rich helps you build your knowledge this way.

I don't think this requires separate documentation for neophytes, but
perhaps a separate and differently organized set of links into the
documentation.  I created my own high-level crib sheet for the tcl API a
year ago, with links to the online documentation, and used it faithfully for
several months.  But I never fixed the places where my initial understanding
was wrong, or where items were missing, or where I never used functions and
didn't learn about them.  And then when the on-line documentation file
structure changed, I dropped it.  But it could well form a useful starting
point now.  Take a look at it here (no off-page links work):

www.webility.md/aol-tcl-a.htm   (not our AOLserver site)

I'll volunteer to take it further if y'all think it's worth it.

Dave Siktberg