On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 02:47:58PM -0800, Jerry Asher wrote:

<snip>

> It goes away entirely if the server doesn't implement TRACE.  It will
> not cause cross site leakage unless your browser already has a cross
> site leakage bug in it.  IE currently does.  Other browsers may or may
> not have bugs.  When will you be secure that your browser has none of
> these bugs?

Ugh.

<snip>

> The news article claims that Apache needs a patch and can't just be
> configured to not implement TRACE.  Does anyone know if that is so?

Think I found a way to work around the problem using Apache's mod_rewrite
(something that may be good to add to OpenACS' request processor). By
adding the lines below (with mod_rewrite being loaded) to the VirtualHost
section, the server should send a Forbidden response.

Weirdly, I get a Bad request (the same request works fine if I take the
rewrite rules off), but at least the TRACE isn't completed.

# RBM: 2002-01-22. Kill TRACE exploits.
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^TRACE
RewriteRule .*   [F]

-Roberto

--
+----|        Roberto Mello   -    http://www.brasileiro.net/  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +