-----Original Message-----
From: AOLserver Discussion [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Nathan Folkman
Sent: 23 January 2003 22:57
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [AOLSERVER] Is Aolserver vulnerable?

In a message dated 1/22/2003 5:38:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Speaking of that, is 4.0 going to support at least part of HTTP 1.1?

-Roberto

What portions do you think would make the most sense to support, and what benefits would supporting those features provide? I'd recommend thinking about these things in terms of a model where all static content (images, _javascript_, css, etc.) is served from a separate process leaving the AOLserver free to serve dynamic .adp pages.

- Nathan

[Moss, Tim]
Even in that situation (with which I completely agree by the way;  it enables you to tune those servers for the specific purpose and achieve phenomenal performance - e.g. regularly rsync all the static content onto a memory based file system, from which the server reads.  Or give the server huge amounts of RAM in which to cache all the static content, or both perhaps)

... even in that situation the HTTP/1.1 Keep-Alive features are of great benefit both to the client and the server:
the client only suffers from any network latency twice (once for the HTML and once for all static objects in the page) - On a high latency connection this can be significant in terms of page download speed.

the server has to deal with fewer (on average at least a factor of 10) incoming connections which whilst not particularly costly on an individual basis, they all add up,

Other than the Keep-Alives, I don't think any of the other features HTTP/1.1 offers above 1.0 are anywhere near as significant in practice, but it would be nice to be able to support them I suppose.

The fact that  a Host header is required simplifies some things, and some of the Cache-Control and ETag headers are nice ideas, but in practice there's no guarantee that the clients, (or indeed the proxies, caches etc between the client and the server) respond to them in a sensible way, if at all.