I uploaded these files to SourceForge a few days ago as patch #689515.
I can't say if they actually improve performance or not.  A few other
notes on the OpenACS/AD13 distribution vs. AOLserver 4 are below.
Please let me know if I'm missing anything!

1.  AD13 has extra i18n-related Tcl procs in charsets.tcl (and related
changes in init.tcl, http.tcl)  I believe Mark Page is working on this.
2.  The ns_uuencode patch #474259.  I could submit an updated diff.
OpenACS falls back to a Tcl proc if this patch isn't there.
3.  AD13 has byte range request support (a HTTP/1.1 feature).  There was
a concern that, if added, this feature should be made configurable to
prevent abuse by download accelerators.
4.  Small additions/bugfixes.  I'm not sure which of these are needed:
ns_db stats, WarnEmpty parameter for database pools, SIGSEGV fix for
Linux, 401 redirect in nsd.tcl fix, etc.
5.  The SourceForge versions of nscache, nsoracle, and nsxml are newer
than what OpenACS includes.  We just need to check that OpenACS works
with them.

Jamie

Don Baccus wrote:
The custom AOLserver distributed first by Ars Digita then by the OpenACS
project (AOLserver3.3+ad13 being the latest) included code to cache
bytecode produced when Tcl pages are compiled.

This hasn't made it into AOLserver 4.0, though ns_cache, upon which it
depends, has.

Was this intentional or an oversight?

The code's been used successfully in many sites so seems stable.   It's
only enabled if you load ns_cache into your server, the code's identical
to the existing file.tcl if you've not done this.

I realize it's awfully late in the cycle to raise an issue like this,
but we at the OpenACS project have been overjoyed at the prospect of
telling people to use a stock AOLserver rather than our custom version.

And we can actually do that regardless, since caching of bytecode's just
a performance booster.  Procs in one's Tcl library already have their
bytecode cached by the Tcl compiler.

So we (the OpenACS folk) could tell folks they can run with stock
AOLserver 4.0 while making the caching version of file.tcl available for
those who want it, then lobby for its inclusion in AOLserver 4.1.

That would be the conservative approach ...

Thoughts?

--
Don Baccus
Portland, OR

I. To remove yourself from this list:

Send a message to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"  with the following text in
the BODY of your message:

signoff aolserver

II. For a complete list of listserv options please visit:

http://listserv.aol.com/

III. For more AOLserver information please visit:

http://www.aolserver.com/