Right, I have mine narrowed down to the following:

With every static file served, memory usage goes up, but only once for
every file. This happens both and in the same amount with direct serving
and "ns_returnfile".

To verify this, in my test I changed the filename in the HTML returned by
my gallery script to something bogus ("foo.jpg.", instead of just
"foo.jpg") resulting in many 404s, but no files returned. Everything else
in my script was the same. (reading text files, setting global vars,
ns_jpegsize, etc) With bogus files nsd stays <6MB, with real files, memory
keeps growing, presumably untill every single static file has been served
once.

I don't have fastpath configured, but is there some other caching
mechanism at work here?

Cheers,
Bas.